Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Bird's Nest, Water Cube AND Egg

"The Bird's Nest"... the National Stadium. It's the place where
people globally gathered for the opening and closing of the
Beijing Olympics. We love gathering and nesting here on
Sparrow!

"The Water Cube"... the National Aquatics Centre. In Chinese
culture, water creates a calming atmosphere and inspires
happiness. Living in Texas, "watercubing" has become a way
of life. I love my "bird bath."


















"The Egg"... the Grand Theater. A first class art palace.
Opposite the Forbidden City, one of China's architectural
marvels and the country's most revered landmark.
God is The Master Craftsman who has made each one
of us a work of art. We are his masterpiece.




REALife Egg Babies

Remember "egg babies?"
I recall having to carry
around hard boiled eggs
for my high school sophomore
health class. Fortunately
I was paired up with a guy
who loved football and he
was very excited to be paired up with a girl who did too.
So we decided on "twins": Baby Fencik #45 and Baby
Plank #46 of the Chicago Bears. They travelled to youth
group and every place we ventured without getting
damaged or "egg-napped". We were excellent "parents!"
It was only after the project was over someone
grabbed the shoe box nursery in the hallway at school,
removed the eggs and threw Fencik and Plank against
the wall into retirement.

Last year we challenged our young marrieds REALife
group to multiply since we were up to 24 people plus
some kiddos. They took us very seriously. Not only did
the birdies fly the nest to create another group, they are
populating their own: Six babies - 4 of them coming in
December! AND two foster kids. WOW. Coming soon:
Baby Scouten 8/1; Baby Thorpe 12/8; Baby Scharfe
12/15; Baby Gaither 12/19; Baby Marek 12/19; Baby
DeKay 1/15. And "Munchkins on Loan" Babies
Whitson joined our new group in March. After a sad
loss of one of their own in February, our young
marrieds would discover the very next month God was
at work hand-crafting little blessings of new life. Wow.



Helping and Healing Hands












I love painted ponies. I picked this up several years ago
after a trip to Durango, Colorado. I was looking for
something Cherokee since Eric is 1/4 American Indian
and something that represented our ministry to families
over the past couple of decades.


I am grateful to 4 people this
year whose helping and healing
hands have helped me
tremendously: my aquatics
instructor, my yoga teacher, my
chiropractor and my masseuse.
I've had this photo for years.
Only recently did I realize it is a
picture of a baby in the womb
being operated on for
spina bifida. My recent back
x-ray showed in addition to
the scoliosis I've had since birth I had some degenerative
disks in my neck and the mildest form of spina bifida,
occulta. Wow. I am so grateful for people who are
"putting me back together again."




Our newest "baby"... Eric will be moving over to be the
Singles Pastor here in Austin at our church,
we can stay married!) Please pray for us and the singles
in the Austin area as we adjust to his new role and leave
behind the ministries we've invested in here for the past
3 years. We are excited about our new adventure!



By the way, Hoehn translates to "chicken farmer." How
appropriate.



"Without God's touch in our lives - His work in us to
will and to do His good pleasure - there is no sparkle
or scant joy. But when we allow Him to work within
us - when we feel His hand upon us - we are no
longer hidden treasures; we become sparkling jewels
that beautify His Kingdom." - from Devotions for a
Sensational Life

more about sparkling jewels later...

No comments:

Post a Comment